As our environment continues to change, so does the need for skincare that is up to the task. There are a lot of buzz words right now surrounding "environment" and "pollution", but what does that really mean for skin?
Scientists have studied air pollution's negative effects on our health for a long time. Research also suggests that pollution can also negatively impact the skin, leading to issues like inflammation and premature aging.
Our skin plays a key role in what we absorb into our bodies. As air pollution continues to worsen, we need to protect our skin from these environmental stresses. But before we dive into how our skin care can help protect your skin, let’s look at how pollution actually damages the skin.
Pollution and Its Effects on Your Skin
Air pollution contains a combination of tiny particles called particulate matter, nitrogen dioxide and chemicals like polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. This gang of misfits wreak havoc on our skin, causing more oxidative damage, increasing skin inflammation, wrinkles and pigmentation.
If that wasn’t enough, these tiny particles can also penetrate and clog our pores, causing the skin to look really dull, uneven and even discolored. Prolonged exposure to air pollutants can also contribute to a break-down of skin-plumping collagen.
- The skin's immune response is immediately stimulated. Free radicals are produced as a result. They start immediately damaging skin cell membranes and skin cell DNA. This causes dangerous mutations that can lead to cancer.
- Skin's natural stores of vitamin C are used right away, leaving skin vulnerable and unprotected.
- Skin's melanocytes are targeted. Our skin responds by producing pigment. Those with melasma are more at risk for additional hyperpigmentation.
- Atopic dermatitis is triggered.
- Skin laxity is worsened.
- Our skin barrier function is depleted.
The Future of Skincare
The good news is skincare products can be tailored to address pretty much any issue, be it acne, dry skin, clogged pores or even the effects of air pollution. In particular, anti-pollution skincare can counteract the particulates in the air that lead to damaged skin. Quality products can also remove those tiny micro-particles from the pores while protecting the skin from the pollution that can penetrate the deeper layers. This will preserve collagen.
In short, pollution-protecting skin care provides an essential barrier between your skin and pollutants in the air.
Fighting Pollution with Essential Skincare Ingredients
The secret to protecting the skin with your skincare products is choosing ones with effective ingredients. We designed the entire Skin by Amethyst line with only research-backed pollution fighters:
- Antioxidants for neutralizing free radicals and boosting cellular activity
- Niacinamide to reduce redness
- Plant-based botanicals for barrier protection
- Luxe oil blends to rehydrate the skin
- Fatty acids to restore the skin barrier and reduce the impact of environmental stress
- Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid & R-Lipoic Acid for deep cleansing, exfoliation and cellular repair
- Hyaluronic acid for instant hydration and boosted collagen
We are committed to using only ingredients that benefit your skin’s health. When formulating our products, we focused on creating skincare that retexturizes the skin, improves skin discoloration, and helps promote collagen production all while protecting against environmental stress.
Check out some interesting articles on the effects of pollution in skin: